The Excel program aims to motivate and discipline black students while increasing parental involvement in schools. Reverend Jesse Jackson says black students must change their priorities from sports and entertainment to education and achievement.
- Obama administration hopes to help black students from 'cradle to career'
- Pay kids to go to school
- Report: Only 52 percent of black males graduate from high school in 4 years
- Why African-Americans have given President Obama a pass
- Math and science education key to more black astronauts
- TheGrio's 100: Bonita Carr, director of youth center pushes the envelope on urban education