10) Enemy of the State (1998): Will Smith was able to effectively play an everyman in this high tech thriller where he teamed up with the legendary Gene Hackman. Smith’s character becomes a target when is slipped a disc containing vital information about a government conspiracy.
9) Hancock (2008): Even though the second half disappoints, this action comedy about a drunken, antisocial superhero provided Smith with one of his funniest, most unpredictable roles. And audiences loved it, the film was an enormous smash.
8) Six Degrees of Separation (1993): Smith shocked audiences with his first major starring role by taking a huge departure from his Fresh Prince persona to play a gay hustler who poses as the son of Sidney Poitier. The gamble paid off and Smith got impressive reviews.
7) Independence Day (1996): This was the film that made Will Smith ‘Mr. Fourth of July’ at the box office. As a tough guy fighter-pilot he whipped alien invaders butts and endeared himself to movie audiences. This film remains his biggest hit to date.
6) Hitch (2005): Will Smith made a rate foray into romantic comedy as the titular character in this story of a relationship expert who finds himself suddenly smitten when he meets his match (played by Eva Mendes).
5) The Pursuit of Happyness (2006): Will Smith co-starred with his precious son Jaden in this heartwarming tearjerker (for which Smith scored his 2nd best actor Oscar nomination) based on true story of a father and son struggling to make ends meet.
4) Bad Boys and Bad Boys II (1995), (2003): The first buddie cop pairing between Will Smith’s wild man and Martin Lawrence’s more straight-laced character was their first big hit and the sequel was even bigger. Now audiences are salivating for the newly announced third installment.
3) Ali (2001): Will Smith underwent an incredible physical transformation to take on the role of a lifetime — Muhammad Ali — in this critically acclaimed biopic. Smith became the first hip-hop artist to get an Oscar nomination for his uncanny portrayal of the champ.
2) I Am Legend (2007): In arguably one of his greatest dramatic performances, Smith held the screen virtually all by himself for most of this apocalyptic thriller’s running time. He plays a military scientist who may or may not be the last man on the planet. A scary good time at the movies.
1) Men in Black (1997): Will Smith is first and foremost a movie star and no movie better shows off his wit and appeal like the original film in this comedic sci-fi series. As the cocky Agent J, Smith cemented his status as a summer box office staple.
- of 10
For over a decade Will Smith has arguably been the biggest star in Hollywood. He has certainly been the most bankable, scoring an unparalleled eight straight $100 million-plus grossing films from 2002 to 2008. This weekend he returns to big screens for the first time in four years to star alongside Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin in the third installment of the popular Men in Black sci-fi comedy franchise. To mark the occasion, theGrio has compiled a slideshow of our favorite films starring the former ‘Fresh Prince’. See if your favorite made the cut.