The reported casting of Zoe Saldana as soul music legend Nina Simone in an upcoming biopic has proven so controversial, it’s even inspired an online petition in opposition to it. The petition calls on the film’s producers, Jimmy Iovine and Cynthia Mort, to “replace Zoe Saldana with someone who actually looks like Nina Simone.” The casting controversy has re-opened longstanding debates about colorism and Hollywood. If you could recast the Nina Simone role, who would you pick? Check out some of our suggestions and weigh in.
- Ellen helps pay off Muslim refugee’s student debt
- Donald Glover set to play Simba in live-action ‘Lion King’ movie
- Gilbert Arenas Warns ‘Old Thots’ over 34 not to attend NBA All-Star Weekend
- ‘Go f*** yourself: Larry Wilmore lashes out at right-wing Trump supporter on Bill Maher show
- Michelle Obama set to make appearance on ‘MasterChef Junior’
- D.L. Hughley blasts Trump’s ignorance: ‘I’m glad the first black president wasn’t that dumb’