5. ”It’s not music, this medicine and/I’m not a rapper, I’m a medicine man/More like a gifted holistic mystic/But try to kick my habit and get dopesick” — Prodigy, “Medicine Man” lyrics
4. ”Nia Long Sky sh*t/Lauren London my sh*t/Dream Deferred, that’s my word, y’all need to go cop it” — Torae, “Rap Average” lyrics
Torae here reps for his close friend Skyzoo in the best possible way — by rhyming about him. A nod to both Sky’s new album and his fantasy girl of choice makes this one of the best ads we’ve heard in a long time.
3. ”The phone booth can be where you change or where you pump at/My heroes took turns with who would run that/So for all the Pierre Delacroixs, the Man Tans and Sleep-n-Eats/And all the money from hand to hands that we can keep” — Skyzoo, “Spike Lee Was My Hero” lyrics
Speaking of Skyzoo, in our chat with him, he talked a lot about his love of Spike Lee movies. This appropriately-titled number lays that out in detail. Here, Sky’s empathy for the troubled characters in Bamboozled (our favorite of Spike’s films) shines through.
2. ”They call me eight shows H.O./You can stunt like that when you own the whole place, though” — Jay-Z, “Barclays Center Freestyle lyrics”
Oh, Hov. Despite owning just a small piece of the Nets, Hov’s stunting like he owns the place rings true. If you judged by the billboards all over the city, the Rocawear store in the stadium itself, and the amount of press mentions, it would seem that, for only a small investment, Jay has indeed bought himself a whole stadium in the public imagination. And, well, “eight shows” and “H.O.” is one hell of a rhyme.
1. ”Why would you f**k with this South Philly sicko?/Sh*tbag your stomach, stick a tool through your d**khole” — Beanie Sigel, “Show N Off Freestyle” lyrics
Beans has long been one of our favorite rappers. His intensity and his knotty wordplay made him stand out even when rapping next to one of the genre’s all-time greats, as he did frequently during his Roc-a-fella days. On this recent freestyle, he turns all his recent legal troubles and angst into one of the best (and most painful) threats of all time.
Hot Songs of the Week:
…and – it took us a while – but we have explained the WHOLE of the new Khaled finally!
DJ Khaled – Future Lyrics
DJ Khaled – Welcome to My Hood (Remix) Lyrics
DJ Khaled – I’m Thuggin’ Lyrics
DJ Khaled – My Life Lyrics
DJ Khaled – Can’t Stop Lyrics
DJ Khaled – Sleep When I’m Gone Lyrics
DJ Khaled – Legendary Lyrics
DJ Khaled – A Million Lights Lyrics
DJ Khaled – It Ain’t Over Til It’s Over Lyrics
DJ Khaled – Welcome To My Hood Lyrics
DJ Khaled – Money Lyrics