Student's allergic reaction to meds causes body to burn from the inside out news yaasmeen castanada

Yaasmeen Castanada (KABC-TV)

Share The GrioSubscribe to TheGrioShare The Grio

A 19-year-old woman is in critical condition after taking a friend’s medication that she had an allergic reaction to, causing her body to burn from the inside out.

Yaasmeen Castanada took the antibiotics, which she believed would help her get better, on Thanksgiving, reports KABC-TV. Less than a day later, the young woman was hospitalized, on a ventilator with blisters all over her body.

The life-threatening allergic reaction is called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.

“Heartbreaking, just unreal,” Castanada’s mother Laura Corona said. “Just watching your daughter burn in front of you, literally burn in front of you.”

Castanada is a sophomore at Cal State L.A. and the mother of a four-month-old.

Medical professionals warn not to take medications that are not prescribed to you.

The family has set up a GoFundMe account. You can donate here: www.gofundme.com/YaasmeenCastanada

 

Share The Grio Subscribe to TheGrio Share The Grio