Congo col. surrenders over mass rape accusations
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — U.N. and Congolese officials say a colonel accused of mass rapes in volatile eastern Congo has surrendered along with a large group of his men.
Military spokesman Col. Sylvain Ekenge said Friday a colonel known as Kifaru surrendered with 106 others on Thursday. He did not give the colonel’s full name.
The colonel was sought in connection to an episode of mass rapes in June. The U.N. human rights office says Congolese government troops raped at least 121 women over a three-day period last month in the town of Nyakiele in South Kivu province, then pillaged their village.
U.N. mission spokesman Madnodje Mounoubai says the U.N. is participating in an inquiry into the incident.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.