NBC News: One Marathon bombing suspect dead, manhunt for second continues

african kings

UPDATE: NBC News has confirmed that the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings (the suspect seen wearing a white baseball cap) has been identified by authorities as 19-year-old Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, Mass. The two alleged bombers are reported to be brothers. The suspect killed in the early morning hours near Watertown was 20 years old.

From NBC News:

With a bomb strapped to his chest, one of the Boston Marathon suspects was killed early Friday after he and his accomplice robbed a 7-Eleven, shot a police officer to death, carjacked an SUV and hurled explosives out the window in an extraordinary firefight with law enforcement, authorities told NBC News.

The second suspect — the one in the white hat in photos released by the FBI — was on the loose, and police ordered people in the Boston suburb of Watertown to stay in their homes and businesses not to open. Boston shut down its buses and subway system for the hunt.

The suspects are brothers with the last name Tsarnaez, law enforcement officials told NBC News. The suspect on the loose is 19 and has a Massachusetts driver’s license, they said. Law enforcement officials told NBC News that both men had international ties, had been in the United States about a year and had military experience.

The chaotic sequence of events started six hours after the FBI triggered a nationwide manhunt by releasing photos of the suspects, believed responsible for detonating two bombs at the marathon finish line Monday, killing three people and injuring 176.

Read more at NBCNews.com

Share: