Sunday night the American Theater Wing will honor the very best of Broadway during the live broadcast of the 67th Annual Tony Awards on CBS.
This year several shows on Broadway featured black actors, and predominately black casts, including Motown: The Musical, The Trip To Bountiful, Pippin, and Kinky Boots.
Here at 10 reasons to tune into this year’s Tony Awards broadcast.
1. Cicely Tyson is nominated for best performance by an actress in a leading role in a play for her role in The Trip to Bountiful.
2. Billy Porter is nominated for best performance by an actor in a leading role in a musical for Kinky Boots.
3. Valisia LeKae is nominated for best actress in a leading role in a musical for Motown: The Musical.
4. Patina Millier is nominated for best actress in a leading role in a musical for Pippin.
5. Condola Rashad is nominated for best actor in a featured role in a musical for Motown: The Musical.
6. Kinky Boots is nominated for Best Musical.
7. Trip to Bountiful is nominated for best revival of a play.
8. Pippin is nominated for best revival of a musical.
9. Audra McDonald is scheduled as a presenter.
10. Mike Tyson is scheduled as a presenter.
Follow Chris Witherspoon on Twitter at @WitherspoonC