All nine victims of Charleston shooting identified
All nine victims of the horrific Charleston shooting at Emanuel AME Church have been identified.
The victims, whose ages range from 26 to 87, were named by Charleston County Coroner Rae Wooten Thursday afternoon.
The suspected gunman, 21-year-old Dylann Roof, was arrested early Thursday in North Carolina.
Here are the victim’s names:
1) Sharonda Coleman-Singleton (45) was a mother of three, speech therapist and high school track coach at Goose Creek High School in South Carolina. She was also a reverend at Emanuel, according to the church’s website.
3) Cynthia Hurd (54) was a librarian who had served as the manager at St. Andrews Regional Library since 2011 and worked at the county’s libraries for 31 years. Officials will reportedly rename the library in her honor.
4) Tywanza Sanders (26) was a recent graduate from Allen University in Columbia and was working at a barber shop. He had a “inkling towards entrepreneurship” and was “outgoing” according to the university’s president.
6) Ethel Lance (70) was retired and worked at the church for more than 30 years, most recently as a janitor.
7) Rev. Daniel L. Simmons (74) was a ministerial staff member at the church who attended Bible study every Wednesday, according to his daughter.
8) Susie Jackson (87) was Ethel Lance’s cousin according to reports. She was a “longtime church member.” She served in the choir and the church’s usher board.
9) DePayne Doctor (49) was a mother of four and minister. She also sang in the church choir at Emanuel AME.