Chris Brown cleared to leave Philippines after 3-day delay

african kings

Chris Brown was stuck in the Philippines for three days because of a fraud complaint filed against him for a canceled New Year’s Eve concert last year, reports the Daily News.

The complaint, filed by the influential Iglesia ni Cristo religious group, alleged Brown and promoter John Michael Pio Roda were paid in full for a $1 million concert before they canceled the trip. When he was hit with the complaint, Brown returned to the Philippines to put on a concert to make up for the one that he missed.

Because of the fraud charges against him, however, Brown was forced to stay put while things were investigated. Elaine Tan, spokeswoman of the Immigration Bureau, said that he was eventually given clearance after “verifying that Chris Brown has no other derogatory record apart from the (immigration lookout bulletin).”

On Friday, it was clear that Brown was annoyed by the delay, tweeting out, “This is a very serious situation and someone needs to be held accountable for mixing my name up in all this.” The tweet, as well as an Instagram video addressing the situation have since been deleted.

Even though Brown is now able to leave, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said that a criminal investigation into the fraud charges will be proceeding. “What is important at this point is for him to know that there are criminal proceedings against him at the preliminary investigation level,” De Lima told reporters.