R. Kelly posts bond after spending weekend in Chicago jail
Despite reports that R&B singer R. Kelly is broker than a joke and couldn’t his post bail, the music superstar posted bond Monday and is expected to be released within the hour, CBS News reports.
The singer’s attorney had given a heads up earlier in the day that his client could be released Monday night. After a weekend behind bars in the Windy City, Kelly appeared in court Monday morning where attorney Steve Greenberg entered not guilty pleas for him to multiple sexual assault charges.
The singer is expected to pay 10 percent of the total $1 million bail Monday evening in order to go free. Meanwhile, hardcore female fans had been hitting up the Chicago court clerk’s office and inquiring about how they could post his $100,000 bond, Complex reports.
According to published reports, the holdup with Kelly’s release was never over him being unable to cough up the money himself. The issue was with the nearly $170,000 in child support he reportedly owes. It’s unclear what amount had to be satisfied with the court before he could post bond.
Greenberg noted that the back child-support debt is unrelated to the criminal case.
“There was a back child-support order. That’s a civil order. He doesn’t have to post that to get out of jail,” Greenberg said at a press conference.
The “Trapped in the Closet” singer turned himself into Chicago police Friday night after being hit with a 10-count indictment on charges that he sexually abused four women, including three who were underage.
“At this point in time, I have no reason to believe that there is any tape of Mr. Kelly acting inappropriately in relation to these cases, or that he’s done anything else wrong,” Greenberg said.
Michael Avenatti, a lawyer for two of the alleged victims, dropped yet another bombshell Monday afternoon when he announced the existence of even more sex tapes featuring the music icon and underage girls.
“I can confirm that we will be providing a second video showing R. Kelly engaged in sexual assault of a minor to prosecutors this morning. This tape was recently uncovered in connection with our ongoing nationwide investigation on behalf of victims. Justice must be done,” Avenatti wrote on Twitter.
I can confirm that we will be providing a second video showing R. Kelly engaged in sexual assault of a minor to prosecutors this morning. This tape was recently uncovered in connection with our ongoing nationwide investigation on behalf of victims. Justice must be done.
— Michael Avenatti (@MichaelAvenatti) February 25, 2019