University of Virginia president apologizes for Charlottesville violence

[griojw id=”i8tAaM3e” playerid=”GqX43ZoG”]


A year after white supremacists filled the University of Virginia campus in Charlottesville carrying tiki torches and marching in hate, the school’s President offered an apology for the first time following the racist event.

Spike Lee breaks down why “Blackkklansman” needed to open on Charlottesville anniversary (WATCH)

“I am sorry,” Jim Ryan said on Saturday at a university event marking the anniversary of the violent march, The Daily Progress reported.

Much like President Donald Trump, the university had failed to strongly condemn last year’s racist event. Ryan called the march participants “white supremacists,” “neo-Nazis” and “lost souls,” but many of UVA’s administration says it’s not enough.

Hundreds of people showed up to the rally some to march in the “Unite the Right” event and others to protest it. The main bone of contention is the due to be removed statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee.

This year, Virginia was put under a state of emergency ahead of the one year anniversary of the deadly Charlottesville Unite the Right rally.

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam declared the state of emergency and asked that residents “make alternative plans to engaging with planned demonstrations of hate.”

Baltimore cop suspended after brutal attack on unarmed man in viral video

Last year 32-year-old activist Heather Heyer was killed when a white supremacist drove his car into a group of protesters.

This year the protests continued in Washington, DC—but with fewer nazis.

On the one-year anniversary of the deadly racist rally in Charlottesville, Va., white supremacists descended on the nation’s capital to hold a “Unite The Right 2” rally, calling for “white civil rights.” Ummm…ok….

However, they weren’t exactly greeted with open arms in Washington, D.C., which is not surprising in the liberal, majority Black and immigrant area affectionately known as “Chocolate City.”

While the number of white supremacists was expected to be in the hundreds, the Washington Post reports that there were actually about two dozen when the 2-hour rally kicked off at 5:30 p.m. Counter protestors arrived in the thousands in an all-out effort to thwart the racists.