Tory Lanez says ‘truth will come to light’ in Megan Thee Stallion shooting
If convicted on all felony charges, the rapper faces a maximum sentence of 23 years.
Rapper Tory Lanez hit up social media on Friday to respond to the felony charges he’s facing over the shooting incident with Megan Thee Stallion.
Lanez, 28, is accused of firing at Megan’s feet several times after the two had an argument in the Hollywood Hills on July 12. The “WAP” rapper reportedly had to have bullets/fragments removed from her feet at the hospital.
Lanez faces two felony charges of assault with a firearm. On Friday, the Canadian-born artist took to Twitter to speak out about the case.
“the truth will come to the light,” he wrote. “I have all faith in God to show that … love to all my fans and people that have stayed true to me & know my heart … a charge is not a conviction . If you have supported me or meg thru this , I genuinely appreciate u.”
As theGrio reported, Lanez was arrested outside of a house party immediately following the shooting. Witnesses claimed people had been arguing inside an SUV before shots were fired.
Megan named Lanez as her shooter in August. He has denied the accusation.
“Yes, this ni— Tory shot me,” she said during an Instagram Live session, noting that Lanez “got his publicist and your people going to these blogs lying” about what really went down that night.
“I tried to keep the situation off the Internet. But you dragging it,” she added.
Megan also denied that she physically assaulted Lanez in the altercation.
“I’m in the front seat, this ni— in the back seat (there were two other people in the car, her “homegirl” and Lanez’s bodyguard). “I’m done arguing,” she continued. “I don’t want to argue no more. I get out. I’m walking away, this ni—, from out the backseat of the car, start shooting me. You shot me!”
The L.A. County D.A.’s office announced on Thursday that Lanez has been hit with one felony count each of assault with a semiautomatic firearm – personal use of a firearm – and carrying a loaded and unregistered firearm in a vehicle. He is also alleged to have personally inflicted great bodily injury using a gun.
Tory Lanez is scheduled for arraignment on Oct. 1 in Los Angeles. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 23 years.
Have you subscribed to theGrio’s podcast “Dear Culture”? Download our newest episodes now!
TheGrio is now on Apple TV, Amazon Fire, and Roku. Download theGrio today!