Ok, ladies, admit it. There’s one big reason you’re not working out: Your hair. A sweaty session can ruin a good hair day, costing you time and money. Who needs that?
Well, I’m here to share some good news. You can have it all: fabulous hair and a great workout. I exercise every single day, and I’m not talking about a light jaunt on the elliptical. I go hard and leave drenched in sweat. I also happen to work in television, which means my hair has to look great every single day! I share more of my story in my new book THINspired.
One of the most common questions I’m asked is “What do you do about your hair?” Here are some tips for keeping those locks lovely while you get your sweat on.
1. Weave: I have a weave for one simple reason. I want to be able to work out. I buy hair with a relaxer straight texture, no wave or curl. I leave as little of my own hair out as possible, and nothing on the edges. When I’m done with a workout, I quickly blow dry the moisture out, and then I flat iron it. I do this every day. My hair is protected underneath, staying strong and healthy.
2. Relaxer: If you have a relaxer, you probably want to avoid putting too much heat on your hair. Wrap it around your head before exercising, and tie it down with a scarf. Afterwards, let it air dry, then comb it out. If you need to do a little bit of touch-up flat ironing, turn the temperature down.
3. Natural: If you wear your hair natural, a few double-strand twists will help your curl keep its shape. When you’re done, untwist and add a little bit of anti-frizz product. Air dry or use a diffuser.
4. Up-do: Slicking your hair back after a sweaty workout is a great option. Beforehand, pull it back into a ponytail, pin-curl your ponytail to the base, and tie down the front with a scarf. Afterwards, let it air dry, remove the scarf and pin-curls, and touch up the edges with a little bit of smoother if necessary. You can also add a piece like a bun.
5. Dry shampoo: Regular sweat will make your hair feel like it needs to be washed sooner than normal. Dry shampoo can be a lifesaver, buying you a few extra days of fabulousness!