Did Jussie Smollett really orchestrate his attack as a publicity stunt? That’s the question people have been asking for weeks, and now, it seems we may be closer to getting an answer.

According to CNN, two credible sources tied to law enforcement have come forward to confirm that Chicago Police believe the actor paid two men to assault him.

READ MORE: Nigerian brothers confirmed to be in surveillance video showing attack against Jussie Smollett

To further substantiate that claim is the fact that authorities say, “the trajectory of the investigation” into the reported attack had shifted and they wanted to conduct yet another interview with Smollett.

Late Friday, police released two Nigerian brothers they had detained for questioning earlier in the week, without charges. And the sources have told CNN that’s because the two men are now cooperating fully with law enforcement.

READ MORE: ‘We cannot seek justice without you’: Chicago’s top prosecutor urges R. Kelly’s victims to come forward

On Saturday, Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told CBS Chicago : “We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation. We’ve reached out to the Empire cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.”

Smollett, claimed he was attacked by two masked men shouting racial and anti-gay slurs and “This is MAGA country!” He said they looped a rope around his neck like a noose before fleeing as he was out getting food at a Subway restaurant early on Jan. 29. He also claimed they poured some kind of bleach like chemical on him.

Despite all the publicity this case has received, police have been unable to find surveillance video of the attack.