Jonathan Price offered handshake to Texas police officer before fatal shooting

Jonathan Price was tasered and shot four times by Officer Shaun Lucas, now charged with his murder

The fatal encounter between Jonathon Price and police officer Shaun Lucas began when the victim offered a handshake to the cop who is now accused of murdering him, according to an affidavit from the Texas Rangers.

Officer Lucas was responding to a “possible fight in progress” at the Kwik Chek convenience store around 8:30 p.m. in Wolfe City, per the probable cause affidavit, CBS DFW reported Wednesday.  The incident was captured on the officer’s body cam.

Read More: Texas officer arrested, charged in fatal shooting of Jonathan Price

Jonathan Price Texas
(Credit: Jonathan Price)

Lucas was met by Price, who greeted him cordially and tried to shake his hand. According to the affidavit, Price asked Lucas multiple times “You doing good?” while extending his hand.

Despite the overture, Lucas insisted that Price, 31, was possibly intoxicated and tried to detain him.

“I can’t be detained,” Price responded.

Lucas then grabbed Price’s arm and gave him verbal instructions but Price did not heed the warning. Lucas used his taser when he failed to comply and the 22-year-old rookie then shot Price as he walked away from him.

“While being Tased, Price continued to walk toward Officer Lucas. Price appeared to reach out and grab the end of Officer Lucas’ Taser. Officer Lucas discharged his firearm four times, striking Price in the upper torso,” a Texas Rangers investigator wrote in the probable cause affidavit.

Read More: Oscar Grant police shooting investigation will be reopened 10 years later

As theGrio reported, witnesses have recounted that Price was attempting to break up a fight between a man and woman at the gas station last Saturday.  Price, a former athlete employed by Wolfe City as a fitness trainer, was the only one shot.

Lucas was suspended by The Wolfe City Police Department and was arrested and charged with murder on Monday. His bond was set at $1M. The Texas Rangers determined that his actions were “not objectionably reasonable,” but his attorney disagrees.

“After Mr. Price refused repeated instructions and physically resisted, Officer Lucas deployed his Taser and continued to give Mr. Price instructions. Mr. Price resisted the effects of the Taser and attempted to take it away from Officer Lucas,” attorney Robert Rogers said in a statement. “Officer Lucas only discharged his weapon in accordance with Texas law when he was confronted with an aggressive assailant who was attempting to take his Taser.”

Lee Merritt, a civil rights attorney who is representing the families of Atatiana Jefferson and Ahmaud Arbery, is now representing the Price family.

“When police arrived, I’m told, he raised his hands and attempted to explain what was going on,” Merritt wrote on Facebook. “Police fired tasers at him and when his body convulsed from the electrical current, they ‘perceived a threat’ and shot him to death.”

Price has been described as a “pillar of the community,” and his services will be held on Saturday.

Have you subscribed to theGrio’s podcast “Dear Culture”? Download our newest episodes now!

TheGrio is now on Apple TV, Amazon Fire, and Roku. Download theGrio today!