It’s been nearly 14 years since Brandy and Monica won a Grammy Award for “The Boy Is Mine,” but the R&B divas are finally teaming up for a new duet.
RCA Records revealed that the pair will release their new single, “It All Belongs to Me,” on February 6.
Over the years fans of “The Boy Is Mine” have been asking for a follow-up to the ‘90s classic. Brandy recently signed a record deal with RCA Records, making her and Monica label-mates. Earlier this month Brandy tweeted a photo of her and Monica back in the studio, saying:
”@MonicaBrown: We have Both Been Blessed Beyond Measure.14years later Love @4everBrandy http://lockerz.com/s/172293088” I love you so much Mo❤thank u!
Their new song was written and produced by Rico Love, the man responsible for creating hits for Kelly Rowland, Mary J. Blige, Usher, Beyonce, and Chris Brown. In an interview with the hip-hop blog Rap-Up Love said that fans can expect a soulful R&B song with pop sensibilities.
“I wanted to make sure I made it a classic R&B record, but I definitely wanted to make sure that it had enough appeal to cross over and become a top 40 record. I wanted to include Beatles-sounding guitars. I made sure the melody was big enough for all genres and just a strong, powerful vocal performance and strong content,” said Love.
During an exclusive interview last week with theGrio Brandy revealed her concerns about recording a new duet with Monica.
“I’m just afraid because I don’t want people to compare it to ‘The Boy Is Mine.’”
“It All Belongs to Me” will be featured on Monica’s upcoming album, New Life, which will be released March 6, and Brandy’s yet-to-be-titled album, which will hit stores this spring.
WATCH ‘THE BOY IS MINE’ VIDEO HERE:
For more entertainment news follow Chris Witherspoon on Twitter.