We are seeing the first images of George Zimmerman in the custody of state authorities, after the neighborhood watch volunteer surrendered, having been charged with the second degree murder of Trayvon Martin.
Zimmerman surrendered to authorities Wednesday, after the special prosecutor investigating Martin’s death filed second-degree murder charges.
The arrest capped a dramatic 48 hours, which saw Zimmerman’s attorneys withdraw from the case, saying they had lost contact with him, followed by the announcement Wednesday by State Attorney Angela Corey that criminal charges would be filed.
WATCH ‘ROCK CENTER’ COVERAGE OF THE CHARGES AGAINST ZIMMERMAN:
Zimmerman’s new lawyer, Orlando based family and criminal attorney Mark O’Mara, held a news conference about an hour after Corey’s announcement, saying he had advised his client to “stay calm and listen to my advice.” O’Mara told MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell he planned to meet with Zimmerman in person Wednesday night — something Zimmerman’s previous attorneys never did.
Zimmerman was booked into the John E. Polk Correctional facility at around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, after surrendering to Florida Department of Law Enforcement officers earlier in the evening. He is believed to have been out of state, in hiding, but returned upon learning of the charges being filed against him. Zimmerman was driven by SUV from Jacksonville to Seminole County, where he is expected to make his first court appearance Thursday at 1:30 p.m.
WATCH NBC NEWS VIDEO OF ZIMMERMAN BEING ESCORTED INTO SEMINOLE COUNTY JAIL:
View more videos at: http://nbcmiami.com.
Zimmerman was released hours after the February 26 shooting, after Sanford police and prosecutors from the Seminole County state attorney’s office determined he could not be charged. Forty-five days later, following massive demonstrations and protests that stretched across the U.S. and even to Europe, Martin’s parents said they felt a measure of relief.
Follow Joy Reid on Twitter at @TheReidReport