Chef Cheo: Tyler Perry's personal chef creates healthy lifestyles for stars
Cheo shared with theGrio some of his healthy and delicious recipes for steamed jasmine coconut rice, lightly steamed, fresh garlic-infused string beans, and pan roasted blackened salmon.
Steamed Jasmine Coconut Rice
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
• MAKES 4 Servings
• 2 cups Thai Jasmine white rice
• 1 cup good-quality coconut milk
• 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
• 1 quarter of large white onion
• 1 teaspoon of whole allspice
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1. Place small pot on stove on high flame. Add all the ingredients but the rice to cook.
2. Bring to a boil so all the flavors can marry.
3. Then add the rice and season with salt to taste. Once it comes to a second boil turn the heat to low and cover for 15 min.
4. Then turn off the stove and let the rice steam for 10 min before serving.
Lightly Steamed Fresh Garlic-Infused String Beans
Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 9 minutes
• 4oz organic green string beans
• 2 cloves of fresh garlic
• 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
• 2 oz of water
• sea salt and fresh-cracked pepper
1. Clean and wash the green string beans. Make sure to trim the ends of the green beans.
2. Then, finely chop the garlic cloves.
3. Then place a sauté pan on the stove on mid to high heat.
4. Once the pan is hot add the water, string beans and garlic. Let the beans cook until all the water has totally evaporated.
5. Then add your extra virgin olive oil. Season with the sea salt and fresh-cracked pepper to taste.
6. Give it quick toss in the hot pan and serve.
Pan Roasted Blackened Salmon
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 11 minutes
• 1 8oz center cut wild Salmon
• 1oz sodium-free blackening seasoning
• 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1. Pour your extra virgin olive oil in a skillet. Heat the skillet till medium hot.
2. Season the salmon evenly on all sides with your blackening seasoning.
3. Place the salmon in center part of your hot skillet.
4. Rotate salmon every few minutes till the desired doneness. Serve.
Follow Carrie Healey on Twitter @CarrieHeals.