Barron Trump’s school bans in-person learning amid COVID-19

Trump's youngest son will have to learn at home until at least October 1

U.S. President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump and their son Barron Trump walk across the South Lawn before leaving the White House on board Marine One November 26, 2019 in Washington, DC. Trump is traveling to Florida for a campaign rally and is scheduled to spend the Thanksgiving holiday at his private Mar-a-Lago Club. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Barron Trump’s private school is banning in-person learning until October amid the controversy of President Donald Trump demanding that students return to school despite the coronavirus pandemic.

Montgomery County, Maryland issued a mandate last Friday that directed all private and parochial schools to remain until October 1, CNN reported. St. Andrew’s Episcopal School, the private school Barron, 14, is set to attend as a ninth-grader in the fall is included in that mandate.

Read More: Trump threatens to cut federal aid if schools don’t reopen

President Trump Arrives Back To White House From Palm Beach, Florida
U.S. President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump and Barron Trump arrive at the White House on January 05, 2020 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

“Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have based our decisions on science and data,” Montgomery County Health Officer Travis Gayles said in a statement.

 “At this point the data does not suggest that in-person instruction is safe for students or teachers. We have seen increases in transmission rates for COVID-19 in the State of Maryland, the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Virginia, particularly in younger age groups, and this step is necessary to protect the health and safety of Montgomery County residents.”

According to data provided by John Hopkins Hospital, there have been almost 90,000 cases of COVID-19 in Maryland and 3,506 deaths.

Maryland Republican Gov. Larry Hogan disagreed with Montgomery County’s decision. He believes it’s not the place of politicians to interfere with choices that should be left up to schools and parents.

“As long as these schools develop safe plans that follow CDC and state guidelines, they should be empowered to do what’s best for their community. This is a decision for schools and parents, not politicians,” he wrote.

Read More: Trump team eyes school funds boost in next virus aid bill

President Trump Departs White House For Joint Base Andrews
President Donald Trump, with his son Barron Trump and First Lady Melania Trump leave the White House before departing for Joint Base Andrews on December 20, 2019 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Zach Gibson/Getty Images)

The county’s mandate is also in sharp contrast to President Trump’s desire that all students return to face to face learning for the fall semester. At one point, he threatened to withdraw federal aid for schools that did not reopen.

“Indefinite school closures will inflict lasting harm to our nation’s children,” Trump said last week during a press conference. “We must follow the science, get students safely back to school while protecting children, teachers, staff and family.”

On Monday, the president tweeted that he wanted the schools to re-open. They were shut down earlier this year over concerns about COVID-19 and how close contact could spread the fatal disease.

Read More: Dr. Anthony Fauci says a coronavirus vaccine may be coming in 2021

“Cases up because of BIG Testing! Much of our Country is doing very well. Open the Schools!,” he tweeted.

Many users on social media decried the president’s demand that their children return to school without viable plans to ensure their health while his son is afforded the benefit of remote learning.

The White House has not yet commented on Montgomery County’s decision.

Have you subscribed to theGrio’s podcast “Dear Culture”? Download our newest episodes now!

Loading the player...
Share: